Monday, January 21, 2013

Farewell, My Lovely (1975)

"Now wait a minute. I've been slapped, scratched, punched, knocked unconscious, drugged, and shot at, looking for your Velma, so quit trying to make a milkshake out of my insides, will you?"


Every grown man wants to grow up to be Robert Mitchum.  Mitchum plays Philip Marlowe, Private Detective, on the case.  Farewell is a great film noir with all the noir trappings.  Cool lines, tough guys, dames, shootouts, corrupt cops, dead bodies, exposition and booze.


After 7 years in jail, a tough guy (Jack O'Halloran - General Zod's muscle from Superman) hires Marlowe to find his lady.  Wrong turns lead to dead ends and, the next thing you know, Marlowe has got his hands full with multiple investigations that all seem to be connected, somehow. 

"She was giving my the kind of look that I could feel in my hip pocket"
Charlotte Rampling plays the main dame and tries her best to be ugly, but fails miserably.  Harry Dean is in attendance.  We get bit parts for Sly Stallone and Joe Spinell.  Anthony Zerbe also grabs some fun screen time.  Check it out if you can get your hands on it.  I'm glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment