Sunday, December 2, 2012

Charley Varrick (1973)

So, I finally got around to watching Charley Varrick.  Awesome!!!

Walter Matthau is mainly loved for his comedy turns. (see Grumpy Old Men, Grumpier Older Men, Bad News Bears, and The Odd Couple)


Since I'm not really a big comedy guy (like my brother), I hold him close to my heart for his work during his "hard boiled" 70's movie trilogy stint.  That trilogy consists of the following:






and




Now, admittedly, I have not seen The Laughing Policeman, yet.  Someone was kind enough to leave a copy on the interwebs, for me (thank you).   If it's anything like Pelham and Varrick, I won't be dissappointed.

Charley is essentially the leader of a small time heist gang who ends up taking down a small town bank that is, unbeknownst to them, laundering large amounts of money for the mob.  

YESSSS!!!  How many folks have had the opportunity to use the word "unbeknownst"?   I'll be honest, I had to look up the spelling.

So, Charley ends up on the wrong side of the mob and they send a hitman after him.  That hitman is the legendary Joe Don Baker!  I Love Joe Don Baker!!!  You will too, once you see Walking Tall (1973)!


Or The Outfit (1973) or Framed (1975) or The Pack (1977)

...or Fletch (198?)

I'm older than you...and cooler than you.

I don't know that I need to say too much more about Charley Varrick.  If this bare bones write up hasn't got you hooked, we ain't kin.  

Check out Charley Varrick, NOW!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment