Sunday, December 9, 2012

Strange Shadows in an Empty Room (Blazing Magnum) (1976)


As the two titles of this film indicate, we're looking at a movie that establishes residence in both hardboiled 70's cop movies and gialli crime thrillers. 


This italian production is way over the top.  Brutal beatdowns, transvestites, a mind blowing car chase, John Saxon, babies at knife point, cop vs helicopter and a midget, for good measure.

Stuart Whitman plays a cop who will stop at nothing, and I mean nothing, to find his sisters killer.  John Saxon, in a rather subdued role, plays his partner and, as always, oozes cool.   This movie can be a little confusing with all the red herrings and suspects.  Well, I'm confident the other elements of the film will be reason enough to revisit this film in your efforts to clear up the story line. 


We have to talk about this car chase.  I wouldn't argue with anyone who claimed that this was the greatest 70's car chase on film.  It's 10 minutes of jaw dropping action.  The video is on youtube (the tranny fight is on there, too).  H.B. Halicki would have been proud.  I know, I know.  It sounded dubious to me when I first heard about it, as well.


This is great 70's trash cinema!  You owe it to yourself to watch this!

No comments:

Post a Comment